Emir – The Encyclopedia of Music in Ireland – review commentary and statistics.
Journalism – Newspaper and Magazine Writing
Articles on Irish Traditional music appear in various media from 1994 onward. These begin with a column in the now-defunct Evening News, previews and album and live gig reviews in The Irish Times(1994-2002), a series on musicians in Irish Music magazine, and a weekly column and album reviews in The Sunday Tribune (1998-2002). There are also academic articles in various Irish Music journals, including Journal of Music in Ireland / JMI, album sleeve notes and conference and other programme preambles.
Selected feature subjects: ‘World music, British Folk Festivals, Lambeg Drum and bodhrán, Irish music in Italy, Piping links with Sardinia, the cultural and economic background to Riverdance, the controversy of copyright royalty collection in Traditional music, Traditional music status, education and Summer Schools, governmental intervention in traditional music, the fleadh cheoil.
Reviews: 300 live concert reviews, 600 album/CD reviews
- 2002 – 1998 The Sunday Tribune – Weekly Traditional music column and album reviews ().
- 1999 – 1994 The Irish Times – regular Traditional music features correspondent, and performance and album reviewer ().
- 1996 – 1994 Irish Music magazine – Traditional music features and album reviews.
- 1994 Evening News – weekly opinion column on Traditional music (1994).
- 1999-1995 Irish Press, Alpha, Circa, Irish American Post (Milwaukee), Ireland Guides (Dublin, multi-lingual publication); Inside Ireland (Dublin/USA) – features and opinion.