Fintan Vallely, PhD, MA, BSc
Honourary position as Adjunct Professor, University College Dublin School of Irish, Celtic Studies, Irish Folklore and Linguistics (2013-18)
PhD Ethnomusicology, University College, Dublin, 2005; M.A. Ethnomusicology, Queen’s University, Belfast, 1993; B Agr. Sc (Hort.) University College Dublin, 1972.
Musician (Irish Traditional music, flute/whistle)
Writer, Lecturer, Researcher on Irish music and Traditional and Folk musics.
Instrumental music teacher (one-to-one and group workshops, all skills levels – beginner to advanced)
Instrumental music Traditional-music Grades assessor with London College of Music (LCM)
Graphic designer; silkscreen and lithographic printing; magazine production
Playing Ireland and Europe, Britain, USA, Asia, Australia since 1969: festivals, Folk clubs, commercial concerts, radio, television. Performance occasions typically involving additional flute and whistle teaching, talks and workshops.
- 1997 Music consultant for RTÉ television, Traditional music series The Miltown Sessions, and High Reel.
- 1996 Researcher/consultant for 1996 High Reel RTÉ television, fifteen-programme series.
- 1995 Researcher/consultant for RTE television, The Pure Drop Traditional music television series.
Bursaries, Scholarships, Awards
- 2009 – Arts Council of Ireland Deis award for editing of Companion to Irish Traditional Music.
- 2008 – Research secondment (June) award funded under PRTLI, project:Digitisation of hard resource information in Irish Traditional Music
- Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences (IRCHSS) 3-year scholarship for PhD research at University College Dublin: The Flute In Irish Recreational And Political Music.
- Arts Council of Northern Ireland, and Irish Studies Association (Dublin) – bursaries for publication-development work on Political Perceptions Of Traditional Music.
- Central Community Relations Unit (Northern Ireland) two-year Research Bursary for project Traditional Music In The Lives Of Protestant Communities In The North Of Ireland