- 2014 – Lecturing in Traditional music on an all-genre music module for the USIT International Summer School, Trinity, College Dublin.
- 2012 –  Lecturing in Irish Traditional music (MA and BA levels; full time sabbatical stand-in; academic), University of Newcastle on Tyne, Folk Music degree programme
- 2012- [01-05] – Lecturing in Traditional music studies at Queen’s University, Belfast
- 2011–2003 – Lecturer in Irish Traditional music, Dundalk Institute of Technology, Co. Louth.
- 2011-2009 – Lecturer in Irish music on MPhil Irish Film, Music and Drama, Trinity College Dublin.
- 2010-1996 – Lectures on Irish music and performance for International summer schools at Trinity College Dublin.
- 2009-10 –Irish music modules devised for Trinity College, Dublin’s MPhil in Irish Film, Music and Drama.
- 2004 Origination and teaching of distance-learning modules on Music and Borderlands on joint University of Ulster / Dundalk Institute of Technology, web-based degree in Borderlands Studies.
- 2003 07-08 Design and delivery of module on traditional music for New York University’s Irish Studies summer school at Trinity College Dublin.
- 2002-3, Development of Traditional music units for real-time and web-based MA Irish Studies modules, AICH, University of Ulster
- 2003 – 01 Appointed Lecturer in the Regional Musics of Ireland at University of Ulster’s Irish studies unit Academy for Irish Cultural Heritages [AICH]; teaching module in Traditional music to BA and B Mus students at University of Ulster.
- 2001-1999 – Devising and teaching a six-semester programme (years 1-3) in Irish Traditional music with Ethnomusicological overview at St. Patrick’s Teacher Training College, Drumcondra, Dublin.
- 1999-1994 – Development of courses in, and lecturing on, 1/ Ethnomusicology (to final year Anthropology); 2/ Irish Traditional music (2nd year Music); 3/International Folk musics and Ethnomusicology (3rd year Music) at National University of Ireland, Maynooth.
1/ Gerry O’Connor, Luke Donnellan’s Music of Oriel (completion 2008 04)
2/ Jesse Smith, Realising the Music of Michael Coleman. (completion 2008 04)
3/ Jacinta McEvoy, Irish Dance in the National School Curriculum (completion 2010 04)
4/ Oisín Mac Diarmada, The Shapes of Melody – Music and Movement (not completed) Funded programme, Strand 1.
Academic events organised
- 2014 06 – Traditional music module on an all-genre music module for the USIT International Summer School, Trinity, College Dublin.
- 2012-06 – Four-day, 80-paper, Academic conference of the North Atlantic Fiddle Convention (NAFCo) at University of Ulster, Derry City
- 2008 01 Postgraduate Seminar, International Council For Traditional Music.
- 2007 01 Round-table seminar of the Irish chapter of the International Council For Traditional Music
- 2003 04 23-27 . Crosbhealach an Cheoil – The Crossroads Conference – Education in Traditional Music. A major international conference held at Magee Campus, University of Ulster, Derry.
- 2003 02 22 Swinging Shoulders, Dancing Feet – Music Traditions among Protestant People in Ireland, day-long seminar, UU York St. campus, Belfast.
- 2003 01 31 High Road and Low Road’, concert of music and song to celebrate Robert Burns, Magee campus UU, Derry.
- 2002 10 ‘Singing the Walls’ – a tribute to Eddie Butcher. Concert of Traditional singing from Ulster, Lowland Scotland and England, Magee campus, UU, Derry.
- 1996 04 23-27 Initiating organiser of, and committee secretary of Crosbhealach an Cheoil – The Crossroads Conference, a major international forum on innovation and change in Irish Traditional Music; 40 papers, 300 delegates, Dublin, Temple Bar Music Centre.
- 1992 03 Organisation of exchange group of Bulgarian Folk musicians performing throughout Ireland: concerts, TV, radio, schools (four weeks).
- 1989 – Co-ordination and organisation in Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare of museum project of Traditional music, instrumentation and transmission.
Extern examination, consultation, adjudication
- 2013 – Extern examination, Post-grad Traditional music performance, Dublin Institute of Technology.
- 2010 – Extern examination of MA dissertations, WIT
- 2009 – External PhD examiner, Queen’s University, Belfast
- 2008-2003 External Examiner for Traditional music BA, MA & BMus programmes, Waterford Institute of Technology.
- 2005 + (occasional) – Member of Assessment panel for Deis, Irish Arts Council Traditional music awards scheme.
- 2005 –1998 Member of selection panel for TG4 Gradam Ceoil – National Traditional Music Award.
- 2004 Consultant to Library of Congress, Washington DC Ireland Exhibition 2007 project.
- 2003 Member of Arts bursaries assessment panel for Co. Mayo Local Arts Office.
Education Projects and Commissions
- 2010 –08 Full time research (PRTLI funded) on web support project for ‘Companion to Irish Traditional Music’
- 2003 03 Consultancy on ‘2007 Ulster Music Exhibition’ at Library of Congress, Washington DC, USA
- 2002 Report – The Arts Council, Local Arts Offices, And Support For Traditional Music’, Dublin, The Arts Council / An Comhairle Ealaíon.
- 2000 Member, assessment panel for NCEA (National Council for Educational Awards) r/e Institute of Technology, Tralee’s Traditional music programming School of Business Studies and Social Studies.
- 2000 Advisory/consultancy for traditional music centre at Glenarm, Co. Antrim
- 1998 Design of integrated Traditional Music/Ethnomusicology course for Siamsa Tíre, Tralee project with Co. Kerry VEC.
- 1997 Arts Council of Ireland- and Sligo Co. Council-sponsored consultancy r/eMichael Coleman Centre, Sligo, on feasibility of establishing as a full music college based in Traditional music, targeted on local, national (third level) and international bases. Commissions