- 2014 - Lecturing in Traditional music on an all-genre music module for the USIT International Summer School, Trinity, College Dublin.
- 2012 –  Lecturing in Irish Traditional music (MA and BA levels; full time sabbatical stand-in; academic), University of Newcastle on Tyne, Folk Music degree programme
- 2012- [01-05] – Lecturing in Traditional music studies at Queen’s University, Belfast
- 2011–2003 – Lecturer in Irish Traditional music, Dundalk Institute of Technology, Co. Louth.
- 2011-2009 – Lecturer in Irish music on MPhil Irish Film, Music and Drama, Trinity College Dublin.
- 2010-1996 - Lectures on Irish music and performance for International summer schools at Trinity College Dublin.
- 2009-10 –Irish music modules devised for Trinity College, Dublin’s MPhil in Irish Film, Music and Drama.
- 2004 Origination and teaching of distance-learning modules on Music and Borderlands on joint University of Ulster / Dundalk Institute of Technology, web-based degree in Borderlands Studies.
- 2003 07-08 Design and delivery of module on traditional music for New York University’s Irish Studies summer school at Trinity College Dublin.
- 2002-3, Development of Traditional music units for real-time and web-based MA Irish Studies modules, AICH, University of Ulster
- 2003 - 01 Appointed Lecturer in the Regional Musics of Ireland at University of Ulster’s Irish studies unit Academy for Irish Cultural Heritages [AICH]; teaching module in Traditional music to BA and B Mus students at University of Ulster.
- 2001-1999 - Devising and teaching a six-semester programme (years 1-3) in Irish Traditional music with Ethnomusicological overview at St. Patrick’s Teacher Training College, Drumcondra, Dublin.
- 1999-1994 - Development of courses in, and lecturing on, 1/ Ethnomusicology (to final year Anthropology); 2/ Irish Traditional music (2nd year Music); 3/International Folk musics and Ethnomusicology (3rd year Music) at National University of Ireland, Maynooth.
- Gerry O’Connor, Luke Donnellan's Music of Oriel (completion 2008 04)
- Jesse Smith, Realising the Music of Michael Coleman. (completion 2008 04)
- Jacinta McEvoy, Irish Dance in the National School Curriculum (completion 2010 04)
- Oisín Mac Diarmada, The Shapes of Melody – Music and Movement (not completed) Funded programme, Strand 1.
Academic events organised
- 2014 06 - Traditional music module on an all-genre music module for the USIT International Summer School, Trinity, College Dublin.
- 2012-06 – Four-day, 80-paper, Academic conference of the North Atlantic Fiddle Convention (NAFCo) at University of Ulster, Derry City
- 2008 01 Postgraduate Seminar, International Council For Traditional Music.
- 2007 01 Round-table seminar of the Irish chapter of the International Council For Traditional Music
- 2003 04 23-27 . Crosbhealach an Cheoil - The Crossroads Conference - Education in Traditional Music. A major international conference held at Magee Campus, University of Ulster, Derry.
- 2003 02 22 Swinging Shoulders, Dancing Feet – Music Traditions among Protestant People in Ireland, day-long seminar, UU York St. campus, Belfast.
- 2003 01 31 High Road and Low Road’, concert of music and song to celebrate Robert Burns, Magee campus UU, Derry.
- 2002 10 ‘Singing the Walls’ - a tribute to Eddie Butcher. Concert of Traditional singing from Ulster, Lowland Scotland and England, Magee campus, UU, Derry.
- 1996 04 23-27 Initiating organiser of, and committee secretary of Crosbhealach an Cheoil - The Crossroads Conference, a major international forum on innovation and change in Irish Traditional Music; 40 papers, 300 delegates, Dublin, Temple Bar Music Centre.
- 1992 03 Organisation of exchange group of Bulgarian Folk musicians performing throughout Ireland: concerts, TV, radio, schools (four weeks).
- 1989 - Co-ordination and organisation in Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare of museum project of Traditional music, instrumentation and transmission.
Extern examination, consultation, adjudication
- 2013 - Extern examination, Post-grad Traditional music performance, Dublin Institute of Technology.
- 2010 – Extern examination of MA dissertations, WIT
- 2009 – External PhD examiner, Queen’s University, Belfast
- 2008-2003 External Examiner for Traditional music BA, MA & BMus programmes, Waterford Institute of Technology.
- 2005 + (occasional) - Member of Assessment panel for Deis, Irish Arts Council Traditional music awards scheme.
- 2005 –1998 Member of selection panel for TG4 Gradam Ceoil - National Traditional Music Award.
- 2004 Consultant to Library of Congress, Washington DC Ireland Exhibition 2007 project.
- 2003 Member of Arts bursaries assessment panel for Co. Mayo Local Arts Office.
Education Projects and Commissions
- 2010 –08 Full time research (PRTLI funded) on web support project for ‘Companion to Irish Traditional Music’
- 2003 03 Consultancy on ‘2007 Ulster Music Exhibition’ at Library of Congress, Washington DC, USA
- 2002 Report - The Arts Council, Local Arts Offices, And Support For Traditional Music’, Dublin, The Arts Council / An Comhairle Ealaíon.
- 2000 Member, assessment panel for NCEA (National Council for Educational Awards) r/e Institute of Technology, Tralee’s Traditional music programming School of Business Studies and Social Studies.
- 2000 Advisory/consultancy for traditional music centre at Glenarm, Co. Antrim
- 1998 Design of integrated Traditional Music/Ethnomusicology course for Siamsa Tíre, Tralee project with Co. Kerry VEC.
- 1997 Arts Council of Ireland- and Sligo Co. Council-sponsored consultancy r/eMichael Coleman Centre, Sligo, on feasibility of establishing as a full music college based in Traditional music, targeted on local, national (third level) and international bases. Commissions
2014 04 30. "Assembling the Companion to Irish Traditional Music. The issues, politics, challenges and practicalities of compiling the first encyclopedia of Traditional music in Ireland". An illustrated talk with music and images. Newry City Library, Co. Down.
2014 04 “Marching to Dancing, Military to Recreation: A talk and Performance which tells the Story of the Flute in the Music of Ireland". Hosted by Castlewellan Futures group at Hillyard House, Castlewellan, Co. Down.
2013 09 – Music performance and talk r/e The Companion to Melbourne Irish Studies Seminar, Melbourne University
2013 09 – Guest Lecture/ performance to Music Research Seminar, Monash University, Melbourne.
2013 08 – Guest Lecture/ performance at The National Library of Australia, Canberra
2011 04 - Hunting for borr- án - shaking a stick at the origin myths concerning the Irish drum. Guest lecture for Na Píobairí Uilleann, Dublin
2010-11 – ‘Irish Traditional music in the complex of Irish identity’ – Guest lecture at Irish Studies Faculty, Notre Dame College, University of Indiana, USA.
2010-10 – Comic and satirical song in the Irish tradition. Guest lecture to North Mayo Education Forum, Westport.
2010 -08 – ‘Revising The Companion – the establishing of an encyclopedia of Irish Traditional Music’, guest lecture at Shamrock in the Bush Irish Studies symposium, Yass, Australia.
2010-07 – ‘The Irish drum – stone-age innovation in the digital age’, Guest paper at Latrobe University, Melbourne
2010 05 From battlefield to boreen, Basel to Ballymoe: How the wooden flute was colonised by Ireland, Guest lecture to North Mayo Education Forum, Westport.
2010 04 Flute routes to 21st century Ireland: the entry of the flute to Irish music. Guest lecture to Cruinniú na bhFliút, Coolea, Cork.
2010-02 – ‘Instrument or Implement? Questions about the bodhrán drum’, guest lecture at NUIG Irish Studies Dept.
2009 -05 - Hunting for the bodhrán – was there ever a drum in Ireland in the past?. Guest lecture to Clare Island Folklore Weekend, Co. Mayo.
2009 10 – The Place of Traditional music in the Arts Economy. Guest lecture to Cooley-Collins seminar, Gort, Co. Galway
2009 04 Hunting for the bodh-rán: Myth, imagination and wishful thinking in the construction of a past for a unique Irish percussion, paper at British Forum for Ethnomusicology, Liverpool.
2009 -03 The invention of the bodhrán drum. Guest lecture to Féile Patrick Byrne, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan.
2009 -02 – Traditional Music Support in the Irish Arts System, guest lecture at ‘The Arts, the State, Identity and the Wealth of Nations – Case studies of Ireland and Scotland’ symposium, Trinity College, Dublin.
2009 02 Hunting for Borrane_ the invention of the Bodhrán drum in Ireland. Paper to ICTM Ireland conference, University College Dublin
2008-08 The Music of Clare in the Modern World, Guest lecturer at Merriman Summer School, Lisdoonvarna.
2008-03 Cosmopolitanism in Irish Music, paper to Grian Irish Studies conference, New York University.
2006 03 17 – Didactic Flute - Style, Politics and Region in flute music. Concert presentation with Dr. Desmond Wilkinson to Centre Culturel Irlandais, Paris.
2006 03 04 - Hallucination once again – food fantasy in Irish song. Paper to GrianIrish Studies Conference, New York University.
2006 02 – Summary paper - Music and Identity in a National Ethnomusicology - to symposium of Irish chapter of International Council for Traditional Music, University of Limerick.
2005 09 – Ulster-Scots’ Selective Adoption of Traditional Music - paper at Irish Protestant Identities conference, University of Salford, Manchester.
2005 07 – Guest Lecture – The Funding of Traditional Music, The Breandán Breathnach Memorial Lecture - at Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy, Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare
2005 05 – Status for Traditional Music in State Education Structures - paper atBorders and Borderlands in Contemporary Culture International Conference,Department of Humanities, Dundalk Institute of Technology, Ireland.
2004 07 - Guest lecture ‚ The Progress of the Flute in Ireland - and host at symposium Flute routes, flute roots, at Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy, Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare.
2003 10 Guest lecture, Fiddlesticks in the Closet ‚ Ulster-Scots, and Protestant suspicions of Traditional music, at Come West Along the Road, symposium, New York University.
2003 11 Guest lecture Globalisation and Irish Traditional Music. London Metropolitan University.
2003 07. Guest lectures to Iowa Writers‚ and to USIT international summer schools at TCD.
2003 07 Guest lecture: Breandán Breathnach Memorial lecture, to Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy, Co. Clare.
2003 05 03 Invention Of Tradition, Imagined Community And The Ulster Scots Quest For Identity Through Music. Paper to - Society for Musicology in Ireland conference, Maynooth.
2003 03 - Centuries Standing To Attention - The Coexistence Of Unaccompanied Irish-Language And English-Language Song Styles With Ballads, Contemporary Lyrics And Mid-Atlantic Folk In Irish Traditional Music Today, Guest presentation, second of a three-unit series on traditional music in the Education programme of Centre Culturel Irlandaise (formerly the Irish College), Paris.
2003 02 - The politics of Traditional music Revival, Sean Ó Riada Memorial Lecture, University College Cork Traditional Music Society, 6 February, 2003.
2002 12 Rebels, Recording And Tuxedos, guest presentation, first of a three-unit series on traditional music in first semester of Education programme at Centre Culturel Irlandaise, Paris.
2002 11 08 Pick “n mix‚ in the culture supermarket: The Ulster Scots quest for music as identity. Paper for Economic and Social History Society of Ireland Conference, Limerick.
2002 10 London: “Music and musicians of Roscommon, Sligo and Leitrim‚ ‚ Guest lecture to Camden Irish Festival, “Return to Camden Town
2002 10 “Contemporary satirical song‚, Didactic performance, Tallaght Music Seminar, Dublin.
2002 09 “Traditional music - fifth column or pillar of society?”, - paper for British Association for Irish Studies biennial conference, Hammersmith & Fulham Irish Centre, London, 7th September 2002.
2002 08 15 - “The music of breaking glass ‚ the classicisation of Irish Traditional music and its implications for third level education”, paper to ISME (International Society for Music Education, UNESCO backed) biennial conference at Bergen, Norway.
2002 06 “Song As Communication To Song As Entertainment”‚ guest address to Ennistymon Traditional Singing Festival, Co. Clare.
2002 06 20 “Singing the boundaries - regional distinctiveness expressed through Traditional music”, paper given at ESRC Research Seminar in European Ethnology, University of Ulster (Belfast Campus).
2002 04 12 “The Peeler and the Goat ‚ identity, music and classicisation” - Paper at British Forum for Ethnomusicology conference, Edinburgh University.
2002 03 12 “From Crossroads to Concert hall - The classicisation of Irish Traditional music” - paper in series “Public Lectures in Irish Studies” given at NUI, Galway‚ s Centre for Irish Studies.
2001 06 22-23 - Gucci-Paddy - Traditional Music As Fashion Accessory For The New Century, paper at Understanding Tradition: A Multidisciplinary Exploration conference - Limerick.
2001 05 Families In Traditional Music Transmission, paper to Fonn (Galway School of Music) Summer School.
2001 03‚ Guest lecture Traditional Irish Music And Performance to Newfoundland Irish Association, at St. John‚ s, Newfoundland, March 18.
2001 03 14 Heads up! The Traditional music revival and its location in the notion of - Irish National identity, Paper at NYU Grian conference, New York University.
2000 07‚ "From Celtic Twilight to Celtic Tiger in hundred years - the creation and flourishing of Irish Traditional music. American Conference of Irish Studies, Limerick; also at Milwaukee Irish Festival cultural program.
2000 07 - From Celtic Twilight To Celtic Tiger‚ A Progress of Irish Music‚ guest lecture to Slieveardagh Historical Society, Killenaul, Co. Tipperary.
2000 02 19 - The Invention And Reinvention If Irish Traditional Music, Paper to Cultures in Transition conference, Dublin City University.
1999 07 29 - Traditional Music and Millennium Ireland, guest lecture to The Ireland Institute, Galway University.
1998 01 Never Mind The Message - Give The Courier Champagne, guest lecture to University College Cork Traditional Music Society.
1997 11 22 Gucci-Paddy Points The 'Purist' Finger - Myth And Invention In Irish Traditional Music, Guest lecture to William Kennedy Piping Festival, Armagh.
1997 08 - 12-14 The New Commercial Life Of Irish Traditional Music; - Irish Traditional Music; Classical Art Or D I Y Kultur?, "Traditional" Music - As The Mirror Of Popular Irish Politics.- guest lecture series - at Milwaukee Irish Festival summer School.
1997 05 31 Traditional" Music - As The Mirror Of Popular Irish Politics, guest lecture at Leixlip Salmon Festival, Co. Kildare.
1997 04 Copyright, The Publican and The Collectors, guest presentation to Irish Music Rights Organisation (IMRO) Colmcille Symposium, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal.
1996 07 10 - "Traditional" music - as the mirror of popular Irish politics. Guest lecture to Douglas Hyde Summer School, Ballaghaderreen, Co. Roscommon.
1996 07 16 Irish Traditional Music - Classical Art Or D I Y Kultur? - Guest lecture to south Sligo summer School, Tubbercurry.
1996 06 24 - Traditional Music And The Broad Black Brimmer - Political Identity In Ireland’s Music, guest lecture to Merriman Summer School, Ennistymon, Co. Clare, June 24, 1996.
1996 05 02 Irish Traditional Music - Classical Art Or D I Y Kultur? Guest lecture to Ballycastle Northern Lights Festal, Co. Antrim.
1995 11 The Migrant, The Tourist The Voyeur, The Leprechaun, .paper for Blas - The Local Accent, conference by Cumann Cheoil Tíre Éireann, and Irish World Music Centre, Limerick University.
1995 0909 - Music And Dance Back At The Crossroads, guest lecture at Cork Folk Festival, Triskel Arts Centre.
1995 08 10 Music And Dance Back At The Crossroads, guest paper at Patrick Mc Gill Summer School, Glenties, co. Donegal.
1995 05 The Scottish ingredient in Irish Traditional Music, Guest lecture to Belfast Arts Society, Belfast.
1995 03 "Traditional" Music - A New Genre, The Mirror Of Popular Politics, guest lecture to NUI Maynooth Anthropology Society, march 11, 1995.
1995 02 "Traditional" Music as the Mirror of Popular Irish Politics, guest lecture to Fethard Historical Society, Co. Tipperary.
1994 10 What’s the news, What’s the news? Ballads as Communication, guest lecture to Forkhill Traditional Singing Festival, Co. Armagh
1994 - 07 05 - The Mist Covered Mountain ‚ Scottishness In Irish Traditional Music, guest lecture to Scoil Samhraidh Willie Clancy, Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare.
1994 05 - Satirical song as a meter of historical - political life in Ireland, ASLS Ballad Conference, Aberdeen, Scotland.
1993 Contemporary And Changing Ireland Viewed Through The Satirical Song. Eight-city lecture tour for - Irish American Cultural Institute, - Minneapolis, USA.
1992 04 Protestant Perceptions of Irish Traditional Music, - paper to British Society - for Ethnomusicology conference, London.
1990 10 Panelist in - Traditional Music - Whose Music? - Protestant and Catholic Identities within Traditional Music; conference, - Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh.
Academic articles, essays and journal writing by Fintan Vallely.
2014-03 – ‘Playing, paying and preying: cultural clash and paradox in the traditional music commonage’; essay, pp 53-67, in in O’Connell, Tom & O’Donovan, Orla (eds.), Community Development Journal, Vol. 49 No S1 January 2014; Oxford: Oxford University Press.
2013 12 – Essay – “The hind teat: strategic misassumption in the promotion of Traditional song in the English language”; pp. 53-68 in <em;">Béaloideas 81 (Journal of The Folklore of Ireland Society, Dublin).
2013 - 10 – Entries in the flute in Irish music in EMIR – The Encyclopaedia of Music in Ireland. Dublin: UCD Press.
2009 10 'Traditional Music Support in the Irish Arts System'. Essay in Craig, Cairns (ed.), Journal of Irish and Scottish Studies. Aberdeen: University of Aberdeen Press.
2008 06 'Fiddlesticks in the closet: Ulster Protestant suspicions of traditional music'. (Chapter) in Tonge Jon & Neal Frank (eds.) Irish Protestant Identities (proceedings from conference at Salford University, 06 2008). Manchester: Manchester University Press
2007 08 'Singing the Ancestors', in Journal of Music in Ireland (JMI) November/December 2007 : Volume 7, Number 6
2007 03 Tiger Ireland, Turd Sniffers & Meta-Trad: People, Power and the Pursuit of Privileged Status in Music in Ireland : Fintan Vallely Journal of Music in Ireland (JMI) March/April 2007 : Volume 7, Number 2
2006 05 Song, Music and Dance in Star of the Sea : Fintan Vallely Song, Music and Dance in Star of the Sea Journal of Music in Ireland (JMI) May/June : Volume 6, Number 3
2005 06 Vallely, F. 'Authenticity to Classicisation: the Course of Revival in Irish Traditional Music'. In Cronin, M., Graham, C. & O’Halloran, C (eds.) The Irish Review, No. 33. Cork: Cork University Press
2004 03 Vallely, F. - ‘Singing the boundaries: regional distinctiveness expressed through Traditional music, essay in ESRC proceedings, 2002, LIT Verlag (Berlin & London).
2004 02 Invention Of Tradition, Imagined Community And The Ulster Scots Quest For Identity Through Music. Proceedings of Society for Musicology in Ireland Conference 2003 (web publication).
2003 12. Vallely, F. - ‘The Apollos of Shamrockery: Traditional Musics in the Modern Age, chapter in Bohlman, P. and Stokes, M. (eds.) Europe Inside Out: Ethnomusicology and Modernities, Vol. 1,’Celtic Modern' , New York: Scarecrow Press.
2002 03, Vallely, F. - ‘The Music of Breaking glass- the Classicisation of Irish Traditional Music’, essay in International Society for Music Education (ISME) Conference Proceedings, 2002 USA/Europe.
2002 10 Vallely, F. “Knocking on the Castle Door – a place for traditional music in third-level education?”, in The Journal of Music in Ireland, Quinn, T. (ed.), Vol. 2, No. 5, (pp. 12-15).
2002 03 Vallely, F. “Heads up! The Traditional Music Revival, Irish National Identity and Cultural Cringe”, in Brady, S. (ed.), Foilsiú, The Grian Association, New York; Vol. 2, No. 1, (pp. 7-18).
2001 Vallely, F. ‘Temple Barcodery and Tiger Stripes – commercialism, and Traditional music's resistance to incorporation in education’, in Potts, S. and McNulty, L. (eds.) Ceol Na hÉireann, 4,Dublin: Ma Piobairi Uilleann, (NPU).
2000 Vallely, F. ‘The Making of the Companion to Irish Traditional Music’, in Redshaw, T. (ed) New Hibernia Review, St. Paul, Minnesota.
1998 Vallely, F. ‘The Migrant, the voyeur, the Tourist, and the Leprechaun – music and locality’. In Ó Súilleabháin, M., Keegan, N., and Joyce, S. (eds.), Blas - the Local Accent, Folk Music Society of Ireland (FMSI), Dublin.
1998-09 Vallely, F. ‘GUCCI-Paddy Points the 'Purist' Finger - the mutual contradiction of 'innovation' and 'tradition’. In Sirr, P., Ó Seaghdha, B., Conlon, E. and Cronin, M. (Eds.) Graph magazine, Dublin.
1997-04 Vallely, F. '’Traditional Music - ascribed Fenianism'. In Fortnight (music supplement), Belfast.
1997 Vallely, F. Irish Traditional Music, in de Sainte Phalle, C., and Brennan, P. (eds.) Arguing at the Crossroads, (eds.) (English translation of Désirs D'Irlande. New Island, Dublin.
1996 Vallely, F. La Musique Irlandaise. In de Sainte Phalle, C.. and Brennan, P. (eds.) Désirs D'Irlande, Actes Sud, Paris, pp. 105-123.
1995-01 Vallely, F. ‘The Bucks of Montrose - change and its inevitability in Traditional Music’. In Sirr, P., Ó Seaghdha, B., Conlon, E. and Cronin, M. (Eds.) Graph Magazine, Dublin.
1992 Vallely, F. comment in Traditional Music - Whose Music? QUB Irish Studies, Belfast.
Journal Books and chapters
- 2011 08: (tbp) The Leitrim Thrush - Ben Lennon of Kiltyclogher (ethnography of a Leitrim fiddle player), with photographer Jacque Pirapez.
- 2011 07: (tbp)The Companion to Irish Traditional Music (second ed.). Cork 780pp) Cork: Cork University Press.
- 2011 10: Vallely, F. Learn to Play The Irish Flute (instrument tutor, 178pp). Dublin: Waltons Music.
- 2008: Vallely, F., Tuned Out – Traditional Music and Identity in Northern Ireland. Cork: Cork University Press
- 2008: Vallely, F., JB Vallely Retrospective: Painting, music and sport in the life of the Armagh painter (350pp, large format Art edition). Belfast: Emer Gallery.
- 2008: Vallely, F. Sing up! Comic Songs and Satires of Modern Ireland. Dublin: Dedalus Press.
- 2004: Vallely, F. (ed.) The Companion to Irish Traditional Music (paperback ed.). Cork (478pp) Cork: Cork University Press.
- 2004: Vallely, F. From fifth column to pillar of society - observations on the political implications of popular revival and education in Irish Traditional music in modern Ireland. Cork: University College Cork Traditional Music Society.
- 2004 03: Vallely, F. - ‘Singing the boundaries: regional distinctiveness expressed through Traditional music, essay in ESRC proceedings, 2002, LIT Verlag (Berlin & London).
- 2003 12: Vallely, F. - ‘The Apollos of Shamrockery: Traditional Musics in the Modern Age, chapter in Bohlman, P. and Stokes, M. (eds.) Europe Inside Out: Ethnomusicology and Modernities, Vol. 1, ’Celtic Modern' , New York: Scarecrow Press.
- 2001: Vallely, F. ‘Together in Time, the life times and music of John Kennedy of Cullybackey’. , Magherafelt: Lough Shore Traditions Group.
- 2000: Vallely, F. A Work of Art – the life and work of painter JB Vallely. Belfast: The Emer Gallery.
- 1999: Vallely, F. Crosbhealach an Cheoil - The Crossroads Conference Papers (ed., with Hamilton, H., Doherty, L. and Vallely, E.) Dublin: Whinstone Music.
- 1998: Vallely, F. The Blooming Meadows - the Soul of Traditional Music. (with Piggott, C. and Nutan). Dublin: Townhouse.
- 1986: Vallely, F. [and reprints up to 2009] Timber - the concert flute tutor. Dublin: Walton’s Publishing; New Edition tbp. Waltons, Dublin, 2008.
- 2010 09: The Companion to Irish Traditional Music (second ed.). Cork (650pp) Cork: Cork University Press.
- 2009: Entries for EMIR – The Encyclopaedia of Music in Ireland. (Tbp 2011) Dublin: Four Courts Press.
- 2004: Vallely, F. (ed.) The Companion to Irish Traditional Music (paperback ed.). Cork (478pp) Cork: Cork University Press.
- 2004 02: Vallely, F. Ed., Ireland Encyclopaedia (Traditional music contributor, 10,000 words), Ruckenstein, L. and O’Malley, J. (eds.), New York, Ballantine Books.
- 2003 08: Vallely, F. Ed., The Encyclopaedia of Ireland (Traditional music editor of this publication [entries on traditional music c. 40,000 words]), Dublin: Gill & Macmillan.
- 1999: Vallely, F. (ed.) The Companion to Irish Traditional Music (ed). Cork (478 pp) Cork: Cork University Press, with New York University Press. 2nd Edition (650 pp) tbp. Cork University Press, 2010.
- 2011 08: Research and writing of The Leitrim Thrush - Ben Lennon of Kiltyclogher (ethnography of a Leitrim fiddle player), with photographer Nutan Jacques Pirapez.
- 2010–08: Full time research on information-based, 500k-word encyclopaedia and support website project ‘Companion to Irish Traditional Music’
- 2008-09: Assessing the history of the Irish Bodhrán Drum – work undertaken at The Department of Irish Folklore, University College Dublin, the National Library of Ireland, Trinity College Manuscripts Dept., National Museum of Ireland, Castlebar, and the Royal Irish Academy
- 2008: Cataloguing the Irish American, Tin Pan Alley song sheets at the Princess Grace Irish Library, Monaco
- 2006: Richard Henebry – Irish Ethnomusicologist of the early 20th century’ – research at Phonogrammarchiv, Berlin.
- 2006: Strand 1 award to fund The Shapes of Melody – Music and Movement (completion 2008 11). Researcher, Oisín Mac Diarmada (BA Hons)
- 2004 03: Completion of PhD Flute research project – title Flute Routes to 21st Century Ireland
- 2003 03: Observation of Fasnacht flute ritual in Basel, Switzerland
- 2003-01: Observation of turn-of-year Community flute ritual in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
- 2002 02: Assessment of fife and drum museum at Ivorytown, Connecticut, USA.
- 2002 03: Interviews with flute players in Co. Sligo and Mayo.
- 2001 08: Researching fife and drum social practice at Westbrook, Connecticut, USA
- 2001 08: assessing of Dayton Miller Flute Archive at the Library of Congress, Washington, DC., USA.
- 2001 10: Research and compilation of teaching-learning CD representing all educationally-required elements of Traditional Irish music.
- 2000: Cultural Commissar of Popular Political Ideology - The Entry Of The Flute to Irish Traditional Music – initiation of PhD research project on flute in political and recreational life.
- 1995-2002: Compilation of database of performance venues and occasions, and professional service facilities, related to Traditional music in Ireland (for Arts Council of Northern Ireland).
- 1995: Field trip to Bulgaria to assess Traditional music educational facilities (for Siamsa Tíre, Tralee, Co. Kerry and Co. Cork Vocational Education Committee).
- 1992: Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia: comparative observations on Scottish Traditional Music In Exile - Its Practice Today.
- 1991: Bulgaria: investigation of Folk Music teaching structures in first, second and third level education (An Comhairle Ealaíon - Arts Council of Ireland part sponsorship).
Emir - The Encyclopedia of Music in Ireland - review commentary and statistics.
Journalism - Newspaper and Magazine Writing
Articles on Irish Traditional music appear in various media from 1994 onward. These begin with a column in the now-defunct Evening News, previews and album and live gig reviews in The Irish Times(1994-2002), a series on musicians in Irish Music magazine, and a weekly column and album reviews in The Sunday Tribune (1998-2002). There are also academic articles in various Irish Music journals, including Journal of Music in Ireland / JMI, album sleeve notes and conference and other programme preambles.
Selected feature subjects: ‘World music, British Folk Festivals, Lambeg Drum and bodhrán, Irish music in Italy, Piping links with Sardinia, the cultural and economic background to Riverdance, the controversy of copyright royalty collection in Traditional music, Traditional music status, education and Summer Schools, governmental intervention in traditional music, the fleadh cheoil.
Reviews: 300 live concert reviews, 600 album/CD reviews
- 2002 - 1998 The Sunday Tribune - Weekly Traditional music column and album reviews ().
- 1999 - 1994 The Irish Times - regular Traditional music features correspondent, and performance and album reviewer ().
- 1996 – 1994 Irish Music magazine - Traditional music features and album reviews.
- 1994 Evening News - weekly opinion column on Traditional music (1994).
- 1999-1995 Irish Press, Alpha, Circa, Irish American Post (Milwaukee), Ireland Guides (Dublin, multi-lingual publication); Inside Ireland (Dublin/USA) - features and opinion.